Friday, May 4, 2012

Seth Godin and Tom Peters on Blogging

Seth Godin is one of the most influential marketers today.  He is the author of numerous marketing books and is known as a marketing guru.  Tom Peters is an equally successful author of management books.  Check out this YouTube video where they highlight the importance of blogging.



I encourage you all to take blogging seriously and continue writing your blog after Assignment 1 in Introduction to Marketing.  It can open up lots of opportunities for you and ultimately change your life.

What are your thoughts on their comments?  Do you think blogging will have the same impact on your life?

40 comments:

  1. At this point in my life I find blogging completely irrelevant to my life and what I do. I reach more of an audience through personal contact than I can through blogs and find that the impact of my thoughts and interactions with others reach a larger audience through other means. Blogging fits certain platforms and personalities well, but trying to force one’s communication strengths into saturated trends when those trends are not the right fit can leave one frustrated and exhausted. Notice the comments made in the video such as “I started blogging in 2004…” I think that date is telling. In 2004 AOL had 24 million subscribers now they have 4 million. The attention span of the public is short and current effectiveness of a platform or strategy cannot necessarily be based upon how well it has performed for a few in a market segment over a previous several year period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, -A. I appreciate your feedback and perspective. I had a chance to read a little bit about you in your bio and I see that you are also an artist. I'm a huge fan of art blogs. Many successful artists are in fact bloggers today. They use blogs to promote their work, demonstrate technique, and make a personal connection with their followers. Many attribute their success selling prints online to their blogs more than any other online tool. Blogging isn't for everyone but the popularity of blogging is definitely on the rise and I don't see this online tool fading away any time soon. For SEO reasons alone, blogs can be a huge help in moving your website higher in the search rankings. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that blogging is an unconscious way of improving your communication skills. By sharing your feelings on any particular subject matter in life you are able to express more to the world. It allows you to document your thoughts and really put effort into the words that are being said to represent your position on a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree to be honest. I have been blogging since 2003, and it has literally changed my life by giving me a way to express how I feel about a variety of subjects to the masses. Or if no one reads it maybe just go myself. I have found it to be very satisfying really in almost every way I can. I love it, I have a Livejournal and a Twitter account which both are pretty much two separate entities in which Twitter can you folks a right now moment while Livejournal is more like one of those blogs where you think and then write down your thoughts. Both outlets are fantastic and again it is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.

    http://blaktimusprime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great video. I've never really given much thought to blogging, but after doing this assignment, my eyes have really been opened to how beneficial it can be. Even if no one reads it, just the gathering of my thoughts and putting them into words is going to be great practice in the area of communication skills. If I keep the blog up, I'm sure I'll have made a lot of progress in that area in a year. Also, with the subject matter of my blog, it'll be a great way to track myself and easily see the progress I've made. I'm really looking forward to continuing this even after the assignment is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this was an absolutely powerful video blog. It really changed my perception about blogging especially when Seth Godin said that it doesn't matter if anyone is gonna read it, what matters is the humility that comes from writing it. When Tom Peters says that his first blog post has changed his life and single thing as been more important in his career in the last 15 years. This was encouraging and inspiring for me to continue to blog and post to improve my writing skills and force myself to explain my thought on a topic using a few paragraphs or recording a video. With the continue advancements in technology blogging may be one of the most immense life changing pieces of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very intriguing video. I feel as if it may be slightly outdated, but the main message is still strong. Blogging is a great way to gain a following, and a great way to gain the respect of your followers. Its one thing to get a couple thousand people to read something you wrote - its another thing entirely to get a couple thousand people to subscribe to a blog. That is free, constant availability of a normally very specific demographic. What more could you possibly ask for as a marketing tool?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this video. I honestly had no idea blogging was so important and could even change your life! I can see now how if you are a very good blogger this can help you gain recognition in the field you are interested in and even help you land a job. The thought of thousands of people actually being interested in what you have to say is very flattering and I believe I will continue with my blog so i become better and better at it, who knows maybe it could change my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny that this class comes at a time like this. For the past two years I've had a website just hanging there, everything I've been doing it's been through Facebook. I have a page called Indie Riot, we cover and support the Independent Rock movement on the Island. I've been slowly getting likes and we have a somewhat active feed compared to some that are doing the same. My goal is to have my own independent record label, and publishing among other things. Recent changes in Facebook have really affected the way one can promote projects in the same manner that has affected bands. As soon as this class started it got me thinking why don't I just work on the page... I have little to no experience in web-design though I can manage myself as a graphic artist, but here I've been paying for this domain for over two years!

    I'm filled with tons of ideas and really looking forward on getting my hands really dirty in the blog-sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading all the comments I guess Im like most others who had a webpage that was left abandon because of the work required to make it any good. For about 2 years I've been able to maintain a space on examiner.com but to create and maintenance my own blog was something I was never interested in. After listening to the passion these men have towards their efforts at blogging Im motivated to get results for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been into blogging or writing for that matter. It just seems that I don't really have anything that I want to share or that will interesting to other people. For those who do blog, it is a great way to reach out and communicate with readers and people with like interests. Blogging is a great way to network and review and endorse different products. I tend to keep everything in my head,so maybe this blog will give some release.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's an interesting topic I think, especially given how important blogging, and all of social media really, is these days. I myself am not really so up-to-date I admit. I had an LJ started several years ago, but I think I only had 4 or 5 posts in total. Set up MySpace account when that was all the rage, but wasn't constantly on that. FaceBook is the same, though I do check it constantly to see what my friends and family might be up to, but I don't post near as often (admittedly I use Facebook more often than I ever used MySpace).

    I do use Twitter quite often, especially since it's easy access to post tweets straight from the phone. THat's something I do on a constant basis. But to maintain something like an LJ or blog, that takes a bit more dedication and work if you want to do it on a consistent basis. However, the rewards could be huge if you do. It's good way to vent and get yourself heard, and share your ideas and thoughts and perhaps many people will have similar interests, and therefore the process of sharing ideas isn't strictly limited to classrooms, and such. Nor is it limited to sharing them with just people in your area....but instead, you could do it globally.

    I think the work it takes to maintain these things, and perhaps the convenience of doing these things can be determining factors in how many people are or aren't doing it. I mean, how many of us may have tried to do something like this before but didn't do it on constant basis? I've heard plenty of stories like mine where I've started an account or LJ, or whatever,,,,but never really go on it. That's a common tale I've heard, and admittedly, experienced first hand. :)

    I also just find it fascinating to see how he spoke about first blogging in 2004....that's 8 years ago. And just think how much social media and networking sites has changed since than, and how much more influential it's gotten. And I'm talking only 8 years ago.....not even talking about the '80s or something, but simply 8 years ago. It's fascinating to see the timeline and it's progression.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think blogging will have an impact on my life. Writing does stimulate thought and it can get people thinking about how they will say something; however, a blog isn't absolutely required for this. I enjoy writing, but blogs just are not for me. I get the impression that blogs are just another way for people to talk without having to pay attention to what others are saying. There are other ways to stimulate thought and develop proper grammar. This is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed this video. Ive been reluctant to start blogging because I don't like confrontation. Every time I read a blog it seems as its negative. One thing I've come to understand is people can agree to disagree on topics. By watching this video I am going to start blogging more often. It can possibly built my communication skills and meet some new and intriguing people. I usually blog on Hip Hop and sports sites also, however not as often as I want to. This will be a great opportunity for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been blogging for about a year ago and I can honestly say it's improved my awareness and understanding of the music world - music is the subject of my blog's content. Yes it does get hard every once in awhile to keep up with posting but overall it's a fun experience, for me at least. It's a medium that gives me chance to express what I think about certain albums, bands, and etc. I believe the reason why most people don't believe blogging is important because they already have established networks or have other means to reach people. For those who don't have established networks, have an unknown target audience, or wish to bring to light a certain topic, blogging is a great tool to connect with an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed viewing this post. I completely agree with what they had to say. As a personal blogger, I don't think it matters whether anyone reads what you post on your blog. Blogging is a form of expression that can be looked back upon. You can write about how you feel today, or what you did few weeks ago and reminisce on the memory of your actions and feelings. Whether you post personal things or a certain subject of interest, there are other people who can relate and will connect with you and your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe that Seth Godin is right. Blogs are a free form of marketing and means of communicating. The more you do it and get used to it the easier it might come to you later to keep writing. Blogs can be great for any company or individual trying to get anything out on the internet. It gives you a more connected feel with whomever or whichever your audience might be. They are powerful tools for businesses and people to market product, review products, share information, anything you want to get across to your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am honestly not sure whether or not blogging will have the effect on me that it had on the two speakers, but I really hope that it does. I can understand the reasoning behind what they are saying though because blogging seems to be like keeping a diary, but a diary that you know someone might find at any moment. That keeps you on your toes a way that writing in a diary doesn't because you hold yourself responsible for making sense. A lot of times when you go back and read a diary you can't understand anything you wrote because you just started writing. You have to think a lot more when you're writing to be understood, and therefore you pick up on things that you might not have picked up on if it wasn't for the fact that you had to explain yourself. I am really going to try to get into it and see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even though Blogging doesn't have a huge affect on my life I totally agree with this video . Even if you're not marketing all of your work through a blog it is a great FREE reflection tool that can help you out in many different areas. Personally my life is very busy filled with work, school ,and music. When i take the time to sit down and blog i actually think about the life choices and speculate on my next move. It has really helped me think long and hard about some of the current choices I face. So i implore anyone who may read this to start or continue blogging.

    And not to mention it helps your writing so doing homework is a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blogging has an affect on my because of the products I by at Amazon.com. I look at the blogs to determine if I should reconsider the products or not. I concur with this video because marketing and blogging can be a good source in some areas of a person's life or career. I occasionally do not blog but I love to read others blogs just to see what others are talking about in the world. Heather, I was wondering if you would consider blogging a career for yourself like Perez Hilton the ultimate blogger.I think blogging is a great way to get your feelings out. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally agree with -A about blogging being totally irrelevant to me at this present time. Perhaps it's not for me or that it simply isn't for my profession. However, once I get my company up and running with maybe my own venue it would be useful to get our name out there with show announcements updates to the venue or even new upcoming artists. I also agree that it is extremely useful to companies so that their consumers can put a face with a name. Almost every one now a days has a smart phone or uses a computer with internet access for work or just for fun. It literally takes seconds and you can stumble upon millions of pieces of information. All in all I'm 50-50 on blogging. I know I wont use it much now, but I probably will in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with this post and think that blogs have the ability to change lives and the way we are as consumers. I think blogs have the ability to enforce opinions about certain things and causes people to purchase certain products and services. It has a tremendous impact on the marketing world and I think from an individual standpoint I think that it can affect their lives as well. Blogging allows you to let your emotions out and allows you to put your feelings into words which is beneficial to your mind and soul. Blogging also can further develop better writing skills. Lastly it can affect the way people communicate with others. I just created a blog so I haven't been able to see the affects yet but I do know that writing has always had an impact on my life and gives me peace of mind when I am able to let my ideas and creativity flow. I am anxious to see how this experience will affect my life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that blogs are great marketing tools, as well as good resources for opinions. They also harbor the essence of free speech. However, anyone can make a blog now so where they experienced success with them in the early 2000's, it is much harder for people today to really make any significant impact in the blogging community if they are not already established.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree that blogs are beneficial, especially since the use of the internet became relevant in this era. I didn't know that there were so many blogs and that people of all ages blog about various topics daily. Recently I created my first blog discussing my views on the music of my culture, but I am extremely new to this new marketing tool. However, I do hope that it will allow me to network with others who have the same views as I do. I believe that I will also gain new friends and build relationships with my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello,

    I thought the video was great, but short. It left me wanting more. I think blogging is a great way to express your feelings and opinions on just about any subject that you are passionate about. In 2006, I created a page and reached out to people who love Hip-Hop music, artists, producers, promoters, and many others.

    I wanted to bring Hip-Hop artists to Mexico, for shows while I was living in Puerto Vallarta. I quickly gained many followers (friends,) and I listened to each artists music. It was the first time that I heard Hip-Hop artists from places like France, Germany, Russia. I was amazed how much great music was out there, and I was getting friend requests from all over the world.

    I ended up turning it into a blog, where I featured an artist every month. It was very successful until MySpace, did a re-design on their site, and then after that Facebook came and people started to drop MySpace.

    Recently, my Introduction to Marketing course at Full Sail University, had an assignment to create a blog.It was a great assignment, and I was able to start a similar blog. I never liked Facebook, twitter is alright, but I think that Blogger might be a lot of fun. I had over 18,000 people from the industry viewing my blogs on MySpace. I hope that I can re-connect with some of those people thru blogging.

    Thanks for sharing the video, it gave me inspiration to really try and do this again.

    My blog is at hungry4muzik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. In my first week of the class I did a discussion post about Seth Godin, which is why I felt led to comment on this post. I have learned a lot through this class yet I think its only the beginning. I plan to keep using these resources to keep learning and keep "up with the times". Much like marketing which is changing constantly with the times we are always learning. Thanks for the post. Although I may not keep up with the blogging, I will use them as a great source.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never paid much attention to blogs before this class. I love to write, but it takes a lot of time, so I do not know if I could maintain a blog. I have found several blogs that I will be following in the future. www.boingboing.com is a lot of fun and one of my new favorites. I prefer when I can like a blog on Facebook, because it makes it a little easier for me to follow since I check my FB page regularly. If the blogs had an iPhone app, that would be nice, too. Who knows, maybe they already have a phone app that I just need to download.

    ReplyDelete
  28. After watching the video, I actually feel more motivated to keep up with my personal blog (not the one made for this class). My blogs host site is tumblr, which is mainly used for pictures, music, and random facts you didn't know about your favorite childhood television shows, but I think I am going to start making it more personal. Maybe not everyday, but once a week at least.

    I think blogging is a great way to get your voice heard, even if it means just one person is reading your posts, and that reader happens to be your mom or your crazy ex-boyfriend. Whatever the case, the video above does a really good job at explaining why blogging is so important and how useful it really can be to someone's life and possibly their career.

    ReplyDelete
  29. After creating this blog for class and watching this video I do agree that it forces your thoughts out of your head and into reality. You can think you're going to do something and you can even tell people your'e going to do something but there's something about posting it on the internet for the world to see that makes it real. It makes you really think hard about what you're saying and a level of self realization comes out when you are trying to describe yourself or something you are passionate about to a million strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I truly agree with Seth Godins & Tom Peters views on blogging. I can honestly say that starting a blog for this class I has awakened an awareness or a new understanding for the importance of opinion, public opinion and my own. It also allowed me the opportunity to see how many like minded people are out there as well as how many people that are mentally bound to the stone age. I definitely will be blogging pass this course. Thanks for the new habit Professor!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have to say that Seth Godin made a great point about blogs. Blogging is about you and what your thinking. I can see how this can be important to a company by informing customers on new products and events. Also with friends and co-workers. Personally I can see blogging as a tool to advertise. It's also great that its free.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I feel that blogging is what you make it. Some people post news or ideas everyday while others post once a week or month or year. You are only going to get out of it what you put in. If you take the time and energy to produce a quality product that you are proud of then you are more willing to market it and get your ideas across to the masses. In order to produce a good blog like Seth does, you have to take the time and effort as well as be passionate about your filed. Many people don't read blogs and are unaware of their insight and potential.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been blogging for a few years now, but until recently did not see it as a marketing tool at all. I had just used it as a way to vent or post about my feelings. Now that I'm in the process of starting a business, I can really see how necessary it is for business to use this great tool. I completely agree with the video, blogging is one of the best ways to advertise.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have had a blog for maybe a year,but did not know how to effectively use it.I believe it can become an effective marketing tool for me if taken the time to create content that's valuable for the reader.I like giving people links to help them save money on items that are important to them.Blogging can be a valuable asset for me going forward in my pursuit of starting a business.

    ReplyDelete
  35. After watching Seth Godin and Tom Peters speak about blogging, not only from a marketing perspective, but from a self-reflective perspective, I would have to wholeheartedly agree with their outlook on blogging. It is the greatest marketing tool one can use and is entirely free, except for the effort it takes to write a blog. Despite the fact that I do not have an on-going blog of my own right now, I consider my Facebook and Twitter accounts to be a "microblog," in which I comment on the latest music, artists, and movies with links to videos, audio clips, etc. This is creating an "image" for myself; in some sense, I am not only marketing the music I talk about on my social media accounts, but I am also marketing my writing skills, my organizational skills, and my passion for the music business as a whole. Blogging is definitely an important aspect in today's technological society, and comes in many forms through social media. Microblogging has a huge impact on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A few months ago I logged into my Blog account because it had been almost a year since I last made a post. I gave up on it because no one was reading it. In the last month I received a few viewers but no comments. I will keep a weekly post going, some times twice a day depending on how I'm feeling. I will never stop it again, I know now it takes time to develop and get better. Thanks to Intro to Marketing for really showing me how important it is to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I haven't really paid much attention to blogs. To be honest I never really understood what they were until very recently (like in class last week, the word weblog shortened). The funny thing is I'm a very social person. I have deep thought provoking conversations with myself all the time. I always come up with these wonderful thoughts of enlightenment on various subjects but no audience. I have recently come to a conclusion that seems to be a common belief in my sphere of influence (which isn't very hard I am the only one in my sphere) and that is … I am brilliant!!! With that revelation I was troubled by a dilemma, How can I exhibit my brillance for all the world to see? After this video I realized that a blog was just the vehicle I needed to transport these little nuggets of wisdom filled with tid bits of knowledge and life experience. At this point in your reading you probably concluded that with this brillance there is something of a ego issue that I may have to contend with, but I would like to reassure my readers something so inconsequential as an ego will never corrupt my genius. On the other hand, if you have a sense of humor you will realize that I was just kidding and succesfully used my blog to catch your attention and draw you back later for more at (http://dapeacekeeper.blogspot.com/). I am convinced that blogs are a great resource if you have the time, content and creativity it takes to pull it off. I am excited because the one thing I am serious about is expanding my sphere of influence, its lonely at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  38. To be honest, I really never gave blogs and blogging much thought. I have always heard about people blogging here and there about their own personal lives, as well as interests/hobbies. However in this IMK course, a blog is a requirement so I went ahead and created one based on my biggest current passion which is bowling. Just from simply creating the blog and having one or two posts, I can already see the impact it will have on me personally as well as professionally (hopefully). These two speakers in the video are extremely successful in marketing and management respectively. In less than 1 minute and 40 seconds, the impact that they made on me about the power of blogs is enough for me to force myself to start thinking about my blog more and more. My goal isn`t to contend with all the blogs out there, however I do feel now that I can begin a voice of my own in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  39. As Mr. Godin said, the concept of using the blog in our days, it has become an extremely important tool to our advantage, especially for those of us who are moving into the world of Entertainment, Marketing and Media. The views expressed through blogs, are becoming constructive platforms for the corporate world. Many business studies are being achieved, based on the results obtained through blogs, especially in the area of zoning, where people can express themselves freely about future projects in their respective areas. Undoubtedly, this is something that contributes to the development of our popular culture.

    ReplyDelete