I’m sure many of you are familiar with the new Old Spice commercials that have been broadcasted on your favorite television networks and online. I was in hysterics the first time I saw “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” commercial back in February. Over the past five months, the commercial has turned into an internet sensation, with close to 13 million views. Old Spice even created their own YouTube channel to promote new commercials as they are released.
Before this campaign push, most people associated the brand with old men, or in my case, my grandfather. There is no question that company is trying to expand their target market and reach a younger demographic through their creative and humorous campaign.
I think Old Spice’s newest attempt to rejuvenate the brand is their best yet! This week Mashable announced that Old Spice has decided to reach out to influential bloggers and admirers. The Old Spice guy, Isaiah Mustafa, is now making personalized messages for his biggest Internet fans. Check out this video made for Perez Hilton, which was posted to Twitter.
By using this viral approach to promoting the brand, the Old Spice guy is connecting with opinion leaders and other online influentials that are likely to comment about and share the video with their target audience. This approach will create a unique and very personal brand experience for everyone involved.
What do you think of Old Spice’s newest attempt to use blogs as a forum for brand promotion?
Hello!
ReplyDeleteI do think old Spice is trying to give it's brand a younger feel. I use to think that Old Spice was targeted to all white men and not just to old men. I think Old Spice's approach in using Isaiah Mustafa and is smart because Isaiah is the first black man to represent Old Spice, so he reaching out to the African American community and he is a young man so he is also reaching out to a younger audience of any ethnicity.Young people are known for working through high school and college and using their earnings to buy things they like or products they are influenced to buy that may affect their life in some way. Old Spice is smart for reaching out to people like Perez Hilton who have a very opinionated and influential voice in the media. People like Perez blog everyday about everything and people listen and agree with them.
Hey,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the Old Spice commercials and I mean all of them. They are each amazingly creative and bring a lightness to the brand. They make my day better whenever I come to see one of the ads. I think the marketers of Old Spice are absolutely brilliant because what they do works so well. There is not a person in this country who doesn't have Old Spice on their lips and that is a great thing for a company. I don't even think they need to expand to blogs with all of the re pour they have with television viewers. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.
I think is attempting to change their demographic. I thought old spice was for old men but the second commercial does make it seem as if another audience is being targeted. I also think they need to rethink their commercials to be more up to date the bathroom scene is pretty old. I also think by targeting Perez they might be trying to get a reaction like what is this Perez is being mentioned in because Perez Hilton is kind of a household name.
ReplyDeleteOld Spice had a certain theme to its name. Old Spice was for older men who wanted to smell nice. The fact that Old Spice used a younger black man with a personal touch and imaginative scenes allows Old Spice to appeal to the younger generation and as the spokesman was speaking to ladies who I would guess would be in the range of 21-33 ages, this opens a new market for OLd Spice.
ReplyDeleteI think that Old Spice using blogs to promote their brand is smart, especially in this day and age. They are definitely trying to change their demographic to that of a younger audience. They also use humor in these promotional spots which can be a great way to generate buzz. Many of the most talked about commercials are humorous ones that make an impression on young people. Old Spice has definitely created a new market for themselves. This is an extremely smart business move for Old Spice.
ReplyDeleteI find the Old Spice ads to be ridiculously funny. The ridiculous part is meant to be a compliment. Old Spice has found a way to put the new in the “Old.” They have put creativity and comedy in their ads.
ReplyDeleteI can see that Old Spice is trying to change their image, but I think they should have rethought this commercial. I know that they are trying to get the attention of the females, but I think they could have done it differently. If they want women and men to both watch this commercial I think they should have both men and women in the commercial. Most guys are not going to want to watch a commercial with a half naked guy standing in the shower. I give them an "A" for the effort, but I think the only savior they have is attracting celebrities. Everyone knows that regular Americans will do what their favorite celebrities do . If Old Spice can break into the celebrity ring then I think they are going to make it even bigger then they already are.
ReplyDeleteFIrst let me begin by saying that i absolutely adore Old Spice's new commercials. Not only are they funny as heck! They are just plain entertaining. I'm not even certain that their marketers new they had such a smash hit on their hands. I get the feeling they kind of stumbled on this one. I definitely think these commercials will expand their demographic reach. In the past Old Spice has been known as a sort of sexy older man product but now it stands the chance of competing with the likes of the popular "Axe" sprays. Suffice this all to say that I dig it and I wouldn't mind getting a whiff of that! :-)
ReplyDeleteI think the people who put this ad campaign together are geniuses! I never thought twice about Old Spice. It's a product for men. This ad got EVERYONE talking, both men and women. It's hilarious, and in these times consumers are looking for humor. People see something funny on TV they instantly remember it and go on sites like youtube.com to replay it. It becomes more than just a TV commercial! That is priceless marketing.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I LOVE what Old Spice is doing with their commercials and believe that it's a fabulous way to expand their target market. The original Old Spice smell is something that has ALWAYS reminded me of my grandfather and up until I smelled some of the new Old Spice fragrances (courtesy of my boyfriends' shower) I never thought that sensory image would change. Now, I find myself smelling the new Old Spice products every time i'm in the body wash isle! I am definitely glad that my man smells like "the man your man could smell like". Speaking about that man, they made a great pick in making Isaish Mustafa the Old Spice man. Talk about a great way to expand your market to women, he is hot stuff! :)
ReplyDeleteI could not agree more with Old Spice needing to revamp their product line and image. I think I wore old spice on my first date (my dad recommended and I think he's still laughing about it) and the bottle had dust on it. Until the new commercials came out it you asked me about actually wearing Old Spice I would have answered no but now I would say probably not. They are doing better but they have a ways to go with me.
ReplyDeleteI think Old Spice is making very very smart moves with there commercials. I think a lot people associate Old Spice with old, white men. But these new commercials are reaching out to a brand new market. They are reaching out to the African American community as also to a younger audience. The guy who's n the commercial is also good looking and physically fit, so it's reaching out to women also, giving them eye candy to look at.
ReplyDeleteThey're doing a good job with expanding their customers. They're also taking a more comedic approach, so they reel customers in and make them laugh. I think it was risky but smart to use an unknown actor instead of a well-known celebrity but it's definitely working.
I have used Old Spice for years, and have always enjoyed their product line. Their new commercial not only promotes some of their new scents, it also gives you a really good laugh, and as Danielle said, some eye candy for the ladies. To me, this is a great example of marketing, as the commercial leaves a lasting impression on the consumer. I don't think there is one guy that went through the deodorant isle without thinking back to this commercial. In fact, the commercial is saved as one of my favorites on Youtube. I always like a good laugh!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest with you, I never really used Old Spice. I usually used the Pure Body deodorant spray or I started to use Axe Dry. The marketing in Old Spice was phenomenal and I had to at least try it. I think it is great when a message is so compelling by a company it literally makes you want to try that product. The first time I saw one of the commercials I was hysterically laughing. After that one came another and another just as funny. This was the first one that I saw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0VGbcMeNM&feature=channel
ReplyDeleteI decided to try it and the brand stuck with me. After basketball games and/ or a long day, the refreshing smell is still there. More companies need a marketing plan or a switch over like this one in order to attract more customers. The creativity is simple but sweet and right to the point. The little spice of comedy in there is all you need and it catches your attention very easily. I think the commercials for the scents is a great idea. It definitely added me as a customer.
I absolutely agree! I think this may be the first time that I've seen Old Spice in a new light! I believe they've, in a way, capitalized on the jokes made about the brand over the years and used that humor to actually promote their product. The commercials make you laugh insanely..yet also somehow make you want to try their product. I myself am a girl so the commercials didn't exactly make me smell like an Old Spice man....but they did make me want to search it out and sniff it a few good times! Another example of great advertising at work!
ReplyDelete